Some reading the title can think hat this book is related to martial arts or even to karate > the title is a bit misleading . The correct with it , is a different way of thinking into verbal communication.
The author is Lilian Glass , with PhD in counseling psychology and communication disorders
IN this book Mrs Glass codifies and writes into techniques and strategies on why and how you have to communicate with various types of people.
Her language is very plain and very easy to understand ,quite funny ,but there are some Americanisms that my dictionary does not include as for example cutsie wootsie , douche
In contrast to the other related books as Tongue Fu! and Vverbal judo,(from what I looked into their Amazon preview ) this book show shows guidelines with special boxes as talk back . verbal vignettes , listen up that add some useful information , that reminds the dummy’s series of books , with a similar style of organization and layout.
To my opinion many of this book’s techniques are quite known, though some of them I didn’t know or never used , but can be more useful to younger people though still for he elder can be a helpful or communication accompanying book . I have read it tw times , the fist time for being … with it , and deriving the unIDed words (very few per page) but for the second pass , I kept also some notices with me in Greek , in order to better keep them in mind and for immediate use . a way that includes the resume of at least 2 books.
Here is a short description of the chapters of the book together with a concise information
- Identifying the opponent . Deals with the body language of he opponent together with his nonverbal attitude. And how to observe it
- When you are verbally zapped : just a way to listen behind the lines
- Toxic people : all categories as narcissistic together with phrases of them
- Verbal murder : persons and their inherit problems from psychiatric viewoiont
- Analyzing strengths and weaknesses : finding out your points and asking your mates friends etc what they find from your attitude .also some questionnaires about yourself and breath techniques
- Gaming the physical edge : several things to strengthen your posture
- Gaming the verbal advantage : with exercise to enhance your vocal tone
- Communication skill defense : making enhancements to your communication , self analysis , change your bad things
- Confident conversation: techniques for opening a conversation including several topics of interest
- Self defense strategies : learning how to combat yourself , being prepared , using imaginary methods and select the best tactic
- When they overstepped boundaries : several easy techniques to cope against someone to continue his own verbal venom . Includes breathing methods
- When more aggressive is necessary : tech as as like shouting. Strategies to act . They are listed also on the 2nd page of the book
- When to stop and go
- Meanings of words between sexes
- Blood in not always thicker than water: ie between family
- Verbal welfare between specific people : for example against enemies , salespeople
- Combat against verbal abusers : this chapter describes the categories of verbal abuser as whiners fast talkers , child sounded people and others together with the most appropriate technique as described in ch 11
- Techs against painful abusers : as flatterers un-talkers with strategies as noticed in the ch 11
- Against dangerous abusers as manipulators , backstabbers , fanatics etc.
- Defense over the telephone :
- Against more difficult situations : as humiliation , focused satire etc
- Death , racism and related
- When self defense can save your life : negotiations , persons cheating with their fake appearance , road outrages etc
- Defending against yourself : fixing your flaws , not propagating important info about yourself in the community etc